Artists, Authors and Educators for a Better World
"When you start to develop your powers of empathy and imagination, the whole world opens up to you."-Susan Sarandon
"I know I speak for many others when I say how impressed I was with the workshop presented by Denise. It gave me more practical takeaway strategies than any other workshop I've EVER attended...These strategies will directly impact ALL stdents...anything that can cultivate interest and help students understand the relevance of classroom knowledge to their own lives will make a major impact on student achievement. I really appreciate having had this opportunity..."-High School Teacher, Federal Way, WA
Photo by Denise E. Baker, Havana,Cuba
Professional Development, Education and Quality Improvement Consultant: experience consulting in over 36 states, Canada and Puerto Rico
For organizations, companies, schools, policy makers and educational stake holders: Social Justice, Cultural Competence, Unconscious Bias, Empathetic and Compassionate Leadership, Equity Literacy, English Language Development, Differentiation, STEAM...
Denise Emmerling-Baker, EdD Educational Leadership: An international consultant specializing in best practices for Pre-K to grade 12 in Literacy, English Language Arts, English Language Learner Programs, Cultural Diversity, Common Core State Standards, and embedding arts, social justice, and social emotional standards in academic curriculum. Dr. Emmerling-Baker has over 18 years as a preK-12 school teacher, coach, Literacy and ELL Specialist. Currently consulting on her own, Denise works with immigrant families who move to Oregon for business, teaching language and cultural competence, while continuing to volunteer as a consultant nationally with NEA Social Justice Department. Dr. Emmerling-Baker also continues to engage in private tutoring, training and coaching as requested, while helping build networks of artists, arts institutions, schools and other organizations to promote arts and equity in education and the community.
Dr. Emmerling-Baker's research: A Qualitative Interpretive Phenomenological Study of K5 Teachers Perceptions of Empathy Instruction, published in 2017 corroborated other research indicating that educators want to give more focus to empathy instruction and practice, but need leaders to guide them and the community to share their focus for compassion and creativity.
Recent Honors for Dr. Emmerling-Baker include:
· Media related to Sylvania, Illinois district training for Cultural Diversity, October 2017 http://www.wtol.com/clip/13822871/sylvania-schools-embraces-growing-diversity
· Selected co-speaker-Social Justice and Diversity, October 2017, Indiana State Teachers Association Rising Educator Conference, https://www.ista-in.org/uploads/Rising-Educator-Conference-Session-Descriptions.pdf
· Dissertation Publication, 2017,https://pqdtopen.proquest.com/doc/1923902134.html?FMT=ABS
· Member of Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education 2017
· Academic Poster Session Presentation, Empathy Instruction K5, NCU Graduation, Phoenix, AZ, July 2017
· Media for ongoing volunteer work: 2017: http://portlandtribune.com/cr/24-news/364946-245601-art-is-the-star-at-milwaukies-first-friday
· Selected National Presenter NABE (National Association of Bilingual Educators) 2015, Using Comics to Increase Literacy, and 2011 Engaging Adolescents with Chronic Academic Failure.
· Co-spokesperson-Burke Natural History Museum, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqwV-ycSLIE
· Recipient of Oregon Education Association “Excellence in Teaching Award” in 2011. http://portlandtribune.com/component/content/article?id=5509
Dr. Emmerling-Baker is available for:
•Teacher, coach, trainer, consultant, and educational leader: preK-Adult: Classroom, English Language Development and content area support specialist, conversationally bilingual/bi-literate Spanish/English., Sheltered Instruction, Literacy, Language Arts; Social Studies/Science based differentiated instruction/language development, Common Core State Standards, Assessment and Evaluation. Training in over 38 states, Canada and Puerto Rico based on extensive trainings received from international specialists including authors of SIOP®, El Achieve®,, Arise®, Common Core State Standards, Cultural Diversity national specialists, Literacy, Language Arts, Brain based learning and Assessment experts and authors.
•Writing scorer for six trait Oregon state student writing samples in grades 3, 7 and 10
•Co-author of district Title I, Title III, Lau and SIP plans, and alignment of curriculum guides and assessment protocol.
•Wrap Around Service Support working with students, families, staff, counselors, agencies (such as Catholic Charities), Dental, medical, and other services to provide support. Member of a countywide team coordinating SIOP roll out, component enrichment, and coaching
•Certified as a K-9 classroom teacher, PreK-12 ELL Specialist, PreK-12 Reading Specialist, secondary Language Arts teacher, .5 Counselor and a variety of subjects up to .5FTE
•Co-editor/reviewer of Every Child Should Have a Chance, a Tapori resource guide about poverty, human rights,and social inclusion (2006).
: spinal-cord injury rehab, naturopathic, Volunteer for Center for Grieving Children
•Artist/Business owner: Emmerling Studios Faux and Mural Painting, including Art classes for children and adults
EdD Educational Leadership, Philosophy of Education, Northcentral University, Prescott Valley, AZ
Graduate Psychology courses, University of Habana, Havana Cuba
MTE Education, Eastern Oregon University, LaGrande, OR
BSN, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
BA, liberal studies, Linfield College, McMinnville, OR
We are all talented and gifted in some areas and need help in others.
Together we need to nurture and celebrate the gifts in each one of us.