- Art, Compassion, Education is available to:
1. Collaborate with community organizations, schools and businesses to help design and guide art events, shows and and guide group and individual acrylic fine arts, faux, and mural painting projects that incorporate team building, community service fund raising, and inspire critical thinking and creativity. See our Community Projects page for more information.
2. We also are a reference for many local artists and warehouse a collection of artwork available for purchase and/or to include in local shows. We have supported many art shows for causes we support. Please contact our office to view a current selection of available artwork and/or project ideas for your organization.
3. Help integrate art across the rigorous curriculum in Math, Humanities, Literacy, Science and English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), and as Art for Mental Health designed for individuals or groups, PreK-adult. Director, Dr. Denise E. Baker has integrated art across the curriculum as a K-12 Literacy, Language Arts and ESOL specialist for over 20 years. She has also been a national consultant for educational best practices including integration of arts and creativity across the curriculum, to increase inclusiveness, equity, creativity, critical thinking, and global perspective.
•Artist/Arts in Education Projects•
• Faux and mural painting: With Emmerling-Studios: for over 10 years, director Denise E. Baker painted murals and faux commercial and residential projects in 8 states and 4 countries as a partner of Emmerling Studios, including many community service projects, such as: restoration of scagliola columns at Multnomah County Library, restoration of Woodgrained elevator doors at Timberline Lodge, Fruit and Flower Day Care Center playground mural,
-Guided Student lead murals at Welches, Cedar Ridge Middle School, Cottrell, Oregon Trail School District
-Adult faux and mural painting classes, internships and guidance for 10 years with Emmerling Studios: Lake,Oswego, OR and Brisbane, Australia
-After school art programs at: Welches Middle School, Welches, OR , crafts at K.Marie loves Glitter in Milwaukie, OR
-Summer art project with Preschoolers in collaboration with Eruption
•Art Lit. Volunteer Teacher: taught developmentally appropriate lessons related to a different school wide focus on a noteworthy artist, including Picasso, Miro, Paul Klee…
•Pre-K-12 Arts Embedded Education-18 years: Oswego Playschool (Lake Oswego, OR), Kenwood School (Bend, OR) Oregon Trail School District (Sandy-Welches, OR), Archdiocese of Oregon (St. Agatha School). Projects:
-Literacy through art, books, collages, song writing, adult-student paired drawing/writing
-In class murals and art projects with students at multiple buildings K-12, including Tempura, Acrylic, & Collage
-Video, song production, and PowerPoint projects with Students
-Poetry lessons, bringing in published poets and publishing chap books with students
-Scottish Storyline cross content: 6 week unit, where students created props, kept journals and systematically solved problems that arose on our ship as discovered daily through a note in a bottle, included art, performance, songs, bilingual (Spanish-English)
-Scottish Story Line Integrated week unit at High School on Japanese Internment, including video productions, art, poetry, music, journaling (“Someone Who Looks Like Me Just Bombed America)
-Language Arts teacher of student winner of 1400 student school wide writing contest, non-fiction, notable because the winner was a Freshman English Language Learner
-Taught Afterschool art integrated classes including : Arts and Crafts Middle School- painting school columns, furniture, etc., Reading Spanish, Kinderplay
-Arranged for, accompanied many students to, and integrated curriculum related to various plays and other cultural events including: Portland Art Museum, Museum at Warm Springs, Portland Children's Theater, Ash land Shakespeare Festival, Milagro Theatre, Cesar Chavez Conference, Eastern European Language Conference, Civil Rights Speakers (Middle School),
-Arranged for/assisted with Artists in Residence, including African drummer Obo Addy (at two schools), tile and mural artist Lisa Riversong, author Nan Hunt,
-Volunteer for Sandy High Theater department for almost 6 years including assisting with set construction and painting, costume preparation, field trips, creation of historical and informational story boards for plays…
-Volunteer for student bands, arranging of play at various locations and contests, publishing, press releases.
• Professional Art Experience, Denise Emmerling-Baker, director of Art, Compassion education•
•Acrylic Painting/ Pen and Ink, Mixed Media Artist,
"I seek to capture love and joy deep within every image whether through photographs or painting on canvass, wood, furniture,and architectural surfaces: including faux and decorative painting, gilding, murals as well as pen and ink drawings As a PreK-Adult educator, I have incorporated art across the curriculum incorporating art standards, English Language Literacy standards and content standards and I enjoy collaborating with others helping revitalize arts in education and the community. Art speaks to everyone."-D.E. Baker EdD
A few of many recent shows include: Several Projects hosted by artMOB, Haberman Presents and First Friday, Milwaukie, Oregon including: "Little by Little" benefit for Childrens' Healing Art Project, "Art to End Alzheimer Show", "Total Eclipse of the Art" Show and more, 2015-2018
"Dragon Boat Art Show", juried show, Portland 5 Centers for the Arts, 2017
"Dog Park" juried show, Ford Gallery, 2016
"Americana in Havana", Photographs from Cuba, 2016, Milwaukie City Hall
"Big 500", 2014 and 2015, People's Art Gallery, Portland, 2016 Ford Gallery
"A Celebration of Women and Global Community", Milwaukie City Hall, May 2015
"We Love Portland", 2015 and 2016 People's Art Gallery Portland
ACE: Art, Crafts, Etc. pop up store, Milwaukie, Winter 2014-15
"Strong 88" Goodfoot Pub and Lounge, June, 2015 and June 2016
Past work at Portland Art for Aids fundraiser Events, Lake Oswego Festival of the Arts, Milwaukie Oregon First Friday Art to End Alzheimer’s fund raiser event, private clients in Oregon and Australia. Pen and Ink artwork published on cover of Freudian Shrimp
•Owner/Artist Emmerling Studios, 10 years, with work in over 8 states and 6 countries including restoration of Scagliola Columns at Mult. Co. Library downtown, Hilton Hotel downtown, pointalistic mural of Portland Bridges for Mallory Hotel, Mural for Fruit and Flower Daycare, Wood graining of elevator doors at Timberline Lodge, Faux marble, gilding, skies, glazing and murals for Hong Kong Parkview Hotel, Brisbane City Hall marbleizing (Australia) …
•Presenter/PD Developer, filmed, adult classes, and on stage, education, brain based learning, faux art techniques, Presented on history of Oregon Architectural faux painting for the Oregon Historical Society …
•Author-Several published educational documents for Oregon Trail School District including Lau Plans, ELD plans, journalism and editorials in local papers, creative writing and poetry in collected author chap books, continued writing creative, non-fiction, and doctoral education philosophy and best practice...